Saturday, April 30, 2011

Placenta, and Other Horrible Names.

Parkview Hospital has a huge billboard by an intersection that displays the names and weight of the babies most recently born. Sometimes, as we go past, we read the names. It is a sad reminder of the recent fad for "unique" baby names. There are plenty of normal names, but mixed with the Helena's and Adrian's are the La'quaisha's and  the Qarin's. Today I saw the name "Mikhai Lamarie", and it made me want to post about terrible names. In my hometown, there was a girl named Placenta. Her mom thought it sounded pretty. I think that parenting classes should address the issue about naming children, because no child should have to be named Placenta. My sister says that when naming  a child, you should imagine there name after "43 president of the United States of America," or "Nobel Prize winner," at the very least they shouldn't be ashamed to have a brand of clothing named after them. I have to go watch the King's Speech, so I will post again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment